The Grievance Process

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) will promptly respond to verbal or written notification from students who are not receiving DRC-approved accommodations. The DRC will communicate in a timely fashion with students and instructors about relevant circumstances, including the complexity of the accommodation and the schedule of the course, program, service, or activity in which the student is participating.  Students are expected to contact the DRC as soon as possible if reasonable accommodations are not being implemented in an effective or timely way. The DRC will contact the instructor, teaching assistant, housing staff, facilities management or other relevant party to attempt to resolve the issue. If the DRC is not able to remedy the situation by communicating with these parties, the DRC will contact the appropriate department administrators to discuss implementation of the DRC-approved accommodations. If the DRC-approved accommodation is still not implemented, the DRC will direct the student to follow the grievance procedures set forth below.

If the student with a disability believes that they are not being reasonably accommodated:

  1. The student contacts their DRC Access Consultant as soon as possible if agreed upon reasonable accommodations are not being implemented in an effective or timely way, or if the student is dissatisfied with the provision of services.
  2. For disagreements/issues regarding DRC-approved accommodations, the student’s access consultant will work with University personnel and students with disabilities to resolve disagreements/issues regarding recommended accommodations.
  3. For disagreements or concerns about the provision of services by the DRC, a student should first discuss the situation with their access consultant. If unable to do this or dissatisfied with the result, a student may contact [email protected] and ask to make an appointment with a manager to discuss their concerns about service provision
  4. Complaints about the provision of services by the DRC will first be responded to by a Student Access manager who is not directly involved in the situation.
    1. The Associate Director for Student Access will review appeals if needed.
    2. The Director, serving in the capacity as ADA Coordinator, is the final reviewer. This is the last step of the DRC internal process.
  5. If the student still believes that they are being discriminated against on the basis of disability, the student is guided to report discrimination to the University of Minnesota Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action at 612-624-9547or via the EOAA Reporting page.
  6. If an instructor believes a student is not being appropriately accommodated or if that an accommodation is a fundamental alteration of course objectives, the instructor also may follow steps 1-5 Of the DRC internal grievance process
  7. Anyone who has questions or concerns about accommodations or how accommodations processes are being handled may contact [email protected] and ask to speak with a manager. 

Any individual may make an anonymous incident report through the Bias Referral Network.