Documentation Guidelines

Documentation is confidential information from a qualified health or educational professional who is knowledgeable about your disability or health condition(s). Examples of providers include nurse practitioner, physician assistant, psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, social worker, medical doctor, optometrist, speech-language pathologist, mobility specialist, case managers, etc.

Documentation can vary in length and format, but should focus on the ways the disability or health condition(s) currently affects you, especially in an academic environment.  Here are some examples of useful documentation:

  • Psycho-educational evaluation
  • Neuropsychological assessment
  • Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
  • 504 Plan
  • Vocational assessment
  • Information on previous use of accommodations
  • Statement from health or other service professional
  • Mobility assessment

The access consultant uses documentation to better understand your experience of the condition, identify impacts in an academic setting, and make informed decisions to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations.  

Sending documentation to the DRC:

  • Documentation can be securely uploaded or submitted to [email protected]
  • You may also use our optional Provider Documentation Form and have your provider fax the completed form to the DRC at 612-626-9654 or return it to you to upload.
  • If you do not have documentation of your disability, your access consultant can assist you in obtaining it.

The DRC stores student documentation securely in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The DRC may release documentation to the student upon request.