COVID, the DRC, and Students

Periodically, due to high requests for services, we may be scheduling out up to four weeks.  You may want to consider discussing your accommodation request directly with your faculty while you are engaging with our office. Visit the DRC homepage for scheduling information and hours.


  1. General questions 
  2. Exams and Testing Center
  3. Resources
  4. Info about Instruction
  5. Additional Support Services

General questions 

Does the University offer a medical exemption from its COVID vaccine requirement? 

All vaccination exemption requests, whether for COVID or other mandated vaccines, must go through Boynton Health Services.

The vaccination verification process allows students to request an exemption for medical reasons. For more information about vaccinations requirements at the U of MN, please go to Boynton's Immunization Requirements. For more contact information including the Nurse Line for questions, please go to Boynton's Immunizations.

What should l do if I have concerns about the delivery methods of my courses?

If you have not done so already, reach out to your instructor to confirm the delivery method of the course. If you have concerns after speaking with your instructor, consider reaching out to your departmental/major advisor to explore whether there are similar course options offered in your preferred modality or other course options that would fit within your degree plan. Your assigned Access Consultant can support you as you explore your options and can also discuss potential accommodations for your courses.

I want to explore accommodations related to the current mask/face coverings on campus policy. What should I do? 

All students, faculty, and staff are required to use a face covering to cover both the nose and mouth at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties. What is considered a face covering may be found at Face Covering FAQs. Visit our alternative face coverings as an accommodation page for more information about this process.

What is the process to explore disability accommodations?

Please contact us at [email protected] or leave a message at 612-626-1333 to schedule a confidential appointment. Someone will return your call or respond by email as soon as we are able. Appointments are remote by video conference or phone (Zoom or Google Meet).  Student Access Consultants are available for remote appointments from 8:00 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday.

You will work with an Access Consultant who will gather information about the impacts of your disability or health condition, gather medical documentation, and explore the barriers in the learning and other environments. Student Access staff works with undergraduate / graduate / PSEO / College in the Schools students and provide expertise in formulating reasonable accommodations that provide equitable access and do not compromise course or program requirements.

Drop-in is available Monday-Friday from 11:00 AM-12:00 pm and 2:00-3:00 pm. To reach the Access Consultant on drop-in email [email protected] or call 612-626-1333 and leave a message.

I have an immunosuppressed family member or roommate that I currently live with and have concerns about taking in-person classes. What should I do?

This is not a situation in which you would register with the Disability Resource Center. You should work directly with your instructor to explore remote participation and/or with your departmental/major advisor to make an alternative plan to find a remote or online course options to meet your degree requirements.

I have tested positive for/am experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, should I register with the DRC for accommodations?

Students who are experiencing symptoms of or have tested positive for COVID-19 should follow guidance from their medical provider and the University. Visit the Safe Campus student FAQs Health and Well-being section.

In most cases illness due to COVID-19 falls under the University Policy for Makeup Work for Legitimate AbsencesIf you experience serious medical complications due to COVID-19 and need to explore accommodations, reach out to your Access Consultant as soon as possible. If you are not registered and need to explore accommodations for serious medical complications due to COVID-19, reach out to [email protected] to schedule an appointment or speak with the Access Consultant on drop-in.

What should I do if I need additional flexibility/support in my course due to disability and health-related impacts and barriers?

Contact your access consultant as soon as possible to discuss current impacts and barriers to explore accommodations. Also if you find you are struggling with keeping up with the course, contact your instructors in addition to contacting your Access Consultant as soon as possible. 

I currently receive support through the document conversion team and I have a question.  How do I contact them?

Document Conversion/Media Accessibility hours are 7:30 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday. Requests for services and inquiries should be made at [email protected] 

I currently receive support through the Interpreting and Captioning Unit and have a question or concern about interpreting, real time captioning, or media captioning. How do I contact them?

Interpreting/Captioning Unit administrative hours are 7:30 am-5 pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:30 am-4:30 pm Friday. Requests for services and inquiries should be made at [email protected].

I work with an Access Assistant and my accommodation needs are changing due to alternative instruction. What should I do?

If you’re currently working with an Access Assistant and your needs change due to the shift to alternative instruction, please reach out to your Access Consultant as soon as possible.

I work with UReturn and I have a question or concern for them.  How do I contact them?

UReturn consultations for staff and faculty are available for appointments and consultations as usual. Requests for services and inquiries should be made at [email protected].

Exams and Testing Center

Will exams be administered in person by the UMTC DRC?

Testing in the DRC will resume with the beginning of Fall Semester 2021. Students must schedule their exams through the OneDRC portal at least seven days in advance or as soon as they can. Please view a video and read about exam scheduling before submitting your request.

How do I take my exams?

Please consult with your instructor about the format of the exam and discuss how your accommodations will be implemented. If access is not possible using existing course resources and technology, please contact your access consultant to explore possible options for how your exam accommodations will be implemented.

How do I take my exams if I work with an Access Assistant?

If you work with an Access Assistant when taking an exam, please reach out to your Access Consultant as soon as possible.


Here are some well-being, mental health and support resources in addition to those listed below.

Mental Health Resources - On-Campus

  • Mental Health Crisis - If you are in immediate danger call 911. If you are in a mental health crisis that is not dangerous, but you would like to talk to someone immediately, call this 24-hour helpline: 612-301-4673 or text “UMN” to 61222.
  • Student Mental Health - This website describes how to receive formal and informal counseling.

Formal Counseling

Informal Support

  • Care Program - Supportive check-in conversations via phone or zoom, and can help you connect with other mental health resources.
  • PAWS - Pet Away Worry and Stress, Fall Virtual PAWS sessions available.
  • Learn to Live - This is an online cognitive behavioral therapy program that's free to UMN students and can help with tools/strategies for managing depression and anxiety. Go to the website and enter the code “UMN” to access it for free!

Mental Health Resources - Off-Campus

  • Both Boynton Mental Health and Student Counseling Services provide medical social work appointments to help refer students to off-campus counseling, psychiatry, and other services.
  • Disability HUB Hotline 1-866-333-2466 - A free statewide resource network that helps solve problems, navigate systems, and plan for your future. Experts help you to apply for health care programs, financial benefits, or learn about community resources.

General Resources for Mental Health:

Information about Instruction

Additional Support Services

Use unit websites to access the most recent information about student support services across campus, such as: